Monday, December 29, 2008

Health and the Holidays!!

A few of you may know already that I am pretty conscious about health and eating a healthy way. I have struggled to be healthy and maintain a certain way of living. It is truly hard to stay that route when growing up a certain way. But needless to say it is always on my mind and I get into a health style conversation at least once a day. I am grateful for the friends who are trained in the field that I can talk to. But I still want more, I want something different, I just never feel like I get what I am truly looking for.... and I think I may have found it.
I have recently been reading on a trainer/lifestyle coaches way of life, he promotes wholesome food diets and total organic foods. I have always struggled with the concept of organic because lets be real, it was introduced a few years back by east coast culture and out here we do not jive well with many of their antics. When we started to carry organic in Wal*Mart, I laughed because who would buy it, and no one bought it. It was the most expensive and tasted the same. But now I have a better understanding of how it works and why they do it. Of course I may have a little bit of the reasoning that processed and chemically fertilized foods will... kill ya!
This past week I ventured out to the pocatello co-op to see what they had. I liked what I seen, they have a lot of organic foods and they had the milk minus the bovine hormones that we all hate so much. Because those hormones get into our systems. So I have decided to start incorporating alot of his antics into my own diet. Which I have been doing mostly steamed veggies with some olive oil for some fat. I think I will buy some herbs and bake some chicken here in a day or so.
So those are my thoughts, but I think because it is the new year and its the biggest tradition to make the resolution that the new year is going to be the year you will loose all the weight you dont want anymore. I really doubt I will do that, I never do, LOL, I just enjoy the party I am at and hope to get home to sleep.
So what do you think about organic foods? Do you think the chemicals we use on our produce is bad or ok, just as long as we wash it?
It would be neat to hear some others views on this,I also am watching "thepeopleschemist" on youtube, you should check him out. I like his info he talks about.
Ok, well this kind of lost track, thats what happens at two in the morning.

1 comment:

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

I haven't done a whole lot of research into organic foods, but I've been of the mindset that it's a bunch of bologna to get people to waste more money on the same food. I don't know... we had a huge co-op in Moscow that was a pretty good store, but I couldn't bring myself to spend 4 and 5 times as much on produce as I would spend at other stores, just to have it say "organic". I know it's important to wash vegetables, and it's recommended to heat them to an internal temperature of 165 degrees to kill any pathogens or harmful bacteria, so I always do that. If you stick with this lifestyle, I would be way interested to see you post on how you feel your health has changed, or what kinds of physical effects the change in diet had on you.