Sunday, August 10, 2008

Shizz Nitt

I decided to write a blog because I am bored and do not feel like swimming right now. I thought I would throw up a few pictures of the things that I have done. We did go to the PCC, which I wrote about in a different blog. Then last week we went out and swam with sharks in the ocean...
We had to be to the other side of the island by 5:30am that morning, it was an early one too! We had to get up at 4:00am to be there on time, but once we got there it was a little bit chilly but once we got on the boat and headed out it did not feel that bad. How they do it, well they have about 8 people on board and a huge cage tied to the back of the boat. You go 3-4 miles off shore, we was going off the North shore-- Haliewa to be exact, once we get to the buoy to tie onto they drop the cage so we can crawl into it and then they release it. When I say release I don't mean we are out at sea stranded, we are a few feet away from the boat with a lead line still attached so we don't float away. The cage is a metal cage that has been spaced enough that sharks can no get in. Once we stopped the boat it was neat to see sharks coming to the surface, they say that the sharks are trained now to come when they hear the engine of the boat because back in the day when the crab boats threw back the crabs they didn't want, it was free food for the sharks. So when we park and set for a few minutes that sharks will come right to the surface. They did play the theme song from jaws, which was pretty funny!
So I was the first one in the cage, I was nervous! It was a freaky feeling putting my feet into water that I had no idea what was in there, but I stepped in the cage, by the way, the undercurrent was bad that day, it was windy and the boat was getting some rocking motion going on. Once in the water it was amazing to see the sharks in their own environment and swimming so close to us. I looked down and seen a shark below us, the color of his skin and the ocean mixed together gave the shark an ambiance of blue, it was really fascinating to just see it. Also seeing a shark from afar come swimming directly towards us was pretty amazing too, unfortunately at that time I got water in my snorkel so I had to go up to release the water. But just being down there and seeing it is an experience I do not regret! The pictures everyone took did not turn out, so we have no underwater pics from our own trip. Its sad, I know!!!


Early in the Morning, on the boat!

this is Oahu from the Ocean, the sun is still rising!

Another photo, this was looking at the Island

Statue at PCC

Canoe Festival at PCC


Stopped and waiting for sharks

1 comment:

Dan said...

Swimming with the sharks eh.... good for you! It's an experience you will never forget. Good thing you don't get motion sickness. I went out on a glass bottom boat and was sicker than a dog. I don't think the water was as rough either. Just wimpy I guess. :> When ya coming home? School starts soon ya know.